Contact us

Strong. Powerful. Beautiful.



Written By Nicola Hare



“Sisterhood is about really holding each other accountable to be our very best and loving each other when we are at our very worst.”



The words belonged to Regina Hall as she talked about the hit-movie Girls Trip, a movie that has quickly become one of my favourite movies of all time. Not only because of its brilliance, nor comedy, nor the way in which the multiplicity of black women was presented but for something that is much richer: black sisterhood.

For as long as I can remember, I’ve had this craving for a thing that I’ve come to learn is this notion of sisterhood. Whether it was watching the Cheetah Girls or the Sleepover Club in my younger years or admiring the bond of the Sex and the City girls in my teenage years, there was something beautiful about a group of women; learning, loving and growing together. Though I admired these friendships, there was something different about Girls Trip because for the first time, I could fully relate to the women on the screen.

Whether it was TK’s wardrobe in Jada Pinkett’s character Lisa or the way Morayo brings us all to tears with laughter in the character Dina, Carmen’s selflessness in Sasha or Rachael’s ability to inspire in Ryan Pierce. There was something beautiful about watching the bond between the black women. The interaction between the four friends warmed my heart in a way that no other group ever had and I soon realised why. Sisterhood became more than matching outfits, singing duets out of key and watching each other do things we know we shouldn’t. Sisterhood became the sharing of these experiences as well as a notion I believe is so precious: black womanhood.

Alfre Woodard stated that “when Black women stick together, we are the most powerful force in the universe” and how refreshing it was for this to be depicted in such a lighthearted and genuine way. How refreshing it was to witness the black woman as compassionate and full of love. How refreshing to see the black woman, not as the overly sexual, the saint or the angry diva but as the comedian, the beautiful mother and the loving friend. How refreshing to see unapologetically black women who support each other. How refreshing to see the black woman as she is: complex, dynamic and beautiful

 I cannot express how important it is for us, black women, to learn to love and support each other. More often than not, we trade our happiness and identity for an image, partner or perhaps for employment. We must embrace our identity for there is no one else that can understand the black woman like the black woman. We must learn to love ourselves and not trade this love, our self-discovery or truth. We should be each other’s core and bask in our empowerment together as we build friendships. We should learn to laugh and encourage each other, support each other for there is something so beautiful and pure in our love.

I am blessed enough to have four beautiful, strong women by my side. Women that teach me daily, women that inspire me, women that move me, women that motivate me to be a better version of myself. We’ve seen each other through the good and the bad and we continue to grow, not only within ourselves but as black women. I’ve learnt that having a support system of women that truly understand you for who you are can bring a person out of darkness. Our sisterhood is our constant because no matter what image we present to the world, the women we call our sisters will always know who we really are. Our sisterhood is our safe-haven.

Girls Trip has ignited a need to see the beauty that is the black woman. I want to see black women rise for we are gifted, we are strong, we are powerful and we are beautiful. We are full of light and wisdom, we are full of love and compassion. We are incredible and its time we truly believe in our light. We must refuse to be comfortable in the character that has been written for us and take charge of who we are. We must embrace the struggle of being outspoken and different for it is the discomfort that will build the foundations of our greatness. It is often our light that terrifies us. We must no longer be our own enemy but use our sisterhood to be our greatest strength.

I want to meet more black women that love black women. I want to learn and be inspired by black women that are changing the world. I want to have a club with black women where we talk about black women things. I want positive friendships for black women. I want love and joy for black women. I want freedom for black women. I want a sisterhood that is like no other.


 “Thank you for watching me walk across the stage,
For walking me through my heartbreaks
Thanks for the love every step of the way
With no support, this wouldn’t be as great
Thank you for making me stronger than most
For taking it beyond my coast
Thank you for raising a glass when I toast.”


These lyrics belong to Kehlani’s ‘Thank You’. The song was used during the credits of Girls Trip and it wasn’t until I finished this piece that I understood why. It’s a thank you to sisterhood, a thank you to our best friends, our girls, our sisters. I pray, queens, that through it all in our journey of self-love and self-discovery that we always remember that together, we are strong, we are powerful and we are beautiful. 


3 Reviews:

  1. This was so powerful! Thankyou for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely piece....black women represent true sisterhood and are truly a force to be reckoned with.

    ReplyDelete