Contact us

Grateful for the Little Things

BY ELLIE CONSTANTINOU

Up until a while ago, if you spoke to any of my friends or family, they’d tell you that complaining comes as natural to me as breathing or eating. I’m trying to change that I promise. Consciously living a life of gratitude can be hard and testing but it speaks into existence more opportunities and a genuinely happier life!

Cynthia Ozick said “We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude” - something I'm very guilty of doing myself. I become so focused on achieving my big goals and trying to figure out how to overcome big obstacles, that I forget about the simple things that make up the person I am and the fact that I can actually have these goals.

We’re all guilty of it, because it’s so much easier to complain about the bad things in life than to celebrate all the good parts. Similarly, it’s easier to count our problems and identify what’s missing from our lives, rather than what we’re blessed to have. More often than not, we associate our happiness with the outcome of certain events. Finding out that I’ve missed out on a 2:1 in an essay that I know I worked hard on can put me in a bad mood for the rest of the day. We assume that accomplishing our goals will add to our happiness, giving control to circumstances that we are most likely unable to control.

We’re all constantly chasing an idea of ‘happiness’, but this type of attitude means that we’re never satisfied. Instead, we’re pursuing a new challenge before we’ve even accomplished our current one. We’re led to believe that adding something to our lives is what’s necessary to achieve this idea of happiness. It shifts our attention away from our blessings, our achievements and the beauty of living and being happy in the moment.

Becoming a more grateful person includes being grateful for the smallest, most routine things. It allows you to understand that happiness isn't dependent on the outcome of external circumstances. As Cynthia Ozick said in the quote above, it is often the things we take for granted that we should be most grateful for. Waking up every morning is something we don't always look forward to, but have we stopped to recognise how blessed we are that we wake up alive and well every day?

How often do we pause to appreciate all that we have?

Clean drinking water. At a time where people have to travel miles every single day to access water that is safe to drink, and over 100,000 residents in Michigan have been exposed to water that is still unsafe to drink, cook or clean with.

Free education. How many times did we wake up in the morning and not want to go to school? The fact that education was compulsory meant that we never had to imagine what it would be like to not have it. Nearly 60 million children do not have a school to go to, or belong to families that are unable to afford an education.

Friends and family. We might argue and they might annoy me but I’m so blessed to have a huge family and the means and ability to communicate with them or see them, especially those that live in different countries.

Travel. I can leave the UK! I can travel outside of my own country, to nearly anywhere, without a second thought. Plane journeys might be annoying or tiring but there are no rules keeping me in one country and I am blessed with the means to travel abroad as often as I am able to.

Safety. In a world that is experiencing more and more war, violence and corruption, I’m grateful to live in a country and environment that is relatively safe and peaceful. I spend the majority of my free time searching for and booking trips out of the UK but having a home that is safe to come back to is something that I should never fail to appreciate.


All of these things, among many others, seem to be normal, expected and taken for granted. This is because I’ve never had to go without them. They’ve always been there and I’ve never had to experience anything different. They’re easily overlooked but it’s important to always give thanks, no matter what else is going on in our lives, no matter what situation we face or a difficult circumstance we may find ourselves in. We have the little things and that’s something we should always be grateful for.

0 Reviews:

Post a Comment