Contact us

The New London

BY ELLIE CONSTANTINOU

“Get a cab back and make sure you don't come home alone”

If I got paid every time my Dad says this line as I’m running out of the house on a night out, I wouldn't be sat here waiting for Student Finance to text me every few months. Living in London used to mean living in a diverse, open-minded and most importantly, safe city. Don’t get me wrong, I love being a Londoner and I wouldn't want to call anywhere else home. The problem is that my parents now worry about my safety even more than they used to, every time I leave the house.

On the morning of Friday 15th September, there was an explosion in West London on a District line train heading for central London. When I heard the first report, my initial reaction of shock quickly turned to “Not another one”. Throughout the morning I found myself checking for updates on the situation, but ashamedly I didn't feel hugely traumatised by the situation, and I had no fear or nervousness about going out that night. It goes without saying that my thoughts and prayers are always with those affected by these selfish acts, whether it be victims or their families, yet sadly I no longer find myself in disbelief when they happen.

Like many other people, I’ve become desensitised to terrorist attacks. These incidents happen way too often, and the reports and updates sound exactly the same every time. The only change is the number of fatalities, casualties and innocent people that are affected by thoughtless, cowardly acts.

At a friend’s house the evening of Friday’s attack, we were discussing whether to get the Tube or a cab to the club we were going to. As part of our argument to persuade ‘Team Tube’ that we should get a cab there, we jokingly brought up the fact that Prime Minister Theresa May had increased Britain’s terror threat level from severe to critical. We laughed it off as evidence for our argument and continued debating, ending up getting the Tube to the club.

The fact that we’re so desensitised to these attacks and remain completely unaffected by the number of tragic events that have been taking place says a lot about the way we’ve adjusted how we live. My Dad can warn me about staying safe more often than he used to, and he can object against myself and my siblings going to crowded places like football matches or concerts, but we never listen. It might be that we’re naïve, or that our generation values entertainment more than our own safety, but regardless, the dangers of living in London never deter us from having a good time.

This might be one of my most favourite things about being a Londoner. The way in which we come together, as a city, a nation, a part of the world as a whole. The fact that, despite the number of attacks we hear about, we still want to go out, live our lives as best as we can and help one another as much as we’re able to.

The number of people that offered to help after Friday’s attack, as well as after all of the attacks we’ve heard about, has been inspirational to say the least. The way in which people offer their homes, food and care to victims gives me hope that we won’t let these individuals stop us from living. We’ll continue to live and love, as our city knows how to do best. We’ll learn from these events that life is unpredictable and that anything can happen at any time. We’ll appreciate those around us more, sharing love and kindness to everyone. We’ll live with caution, but never in fear.

0 Reviews:

Post a Comment